Higher Degrees by Research
The School of Nursing and Health Sciences is a large and dynamic department which has created a productive environment for interdisciplinary research. The majority of the School's research classed as 'internationally excellent' in terms of originality and significance.
You can undertake full-time 3 year or part-time 5 year PhD studies
4 year integrated PhD Programme
The 4 year PhD programme incorporates a structured first year, facilitated by a designated Programme Lead, to build a solid foundation for PhD study. Year one includes taught research modules and academic development whilst developing an original PhD proposal under the direction and guidance of named research supervisors. Years two, three and four will be supervised research, and generic activities associated with being a PhD student.
The School is committed to undertaking and co-ordinating research degrees which embraces the following key principles:
- Is of the highest quality and contributes to the health of the population
- Improves the knowledge base and clinical practice of nurses, midwives and collaborating health and social care professions
- Is valued by health and social care recipients, providers, policy makers and the academic community
- Interacts with and contributes to innovations and developments from other academic disciplines and health and social care professions
We have strong links with our local NHS providers in Tayside and Fife, and have a growing number of international collaborators.
Research supervision is available in the following areas: Improving Health and Well-Being with two workstreams, Long-term conditions, disability and disease and Maternal, Child and Family Health. Two cross-cutting themes underpin the activities of both workstreams to maximise the impact of the research to improve health and well-being: Improving care delivery (including ehealth) and reducing inequalities.
The aims of the PhD Programme in the School are:
- To provide a programme of studies which will support students in conducting a research study and writing a dissertation/thesis based on that research and to support students in making the transition from practitioner to practitioner-researcher.
- The research will involve the critical evaluation of theory and practice in nursing, midwifery or anther health related field.
- To train students in research and practice by offering high-quality supervision, live research projects and collaboration with renowned researchers
- To encourage students to be involved in activities that will enhance skills and the student experience
- To train students in the generic skills of research i.e. data analysis, literature, communication skills, teamwork and computer skills.
- To assist students to obtain appropriate employment upon completion of their studies.
- To provide an intellectually exciting and supportive work environment.