Associate Dean International
School of Nursing and Health Sciences
11 Airlie Place,
+(44) 01382 388534
Dr Emma Burnett is Associate Dean International. She was an infection prevention and control (IPC) specialist practitioner in clinical practice for over 12 years before moving into academia. Her PhD was completed in 2015. Dr Burnett has responsibility for IPC education at pre-registration and post qualifying level, and is the programme lead for the BSc Nursing and Health in Singapore. Her teaching has also extended to developing and delivering IPC programmes in Kuwait and Saudi Arabia.
Dr Burnett had been a long-standing member of the Infection Prevention Society and has held several lead roles in education and research. Her research interests include infection prevention behaviour, patient experiences, patient safety, the media, social media and service and professional development.
Emma is an active researcher and has led on and been involved in a number of funded research studies. She has a particular interest in infection prevention behaviour, patient experiences, patient safety, the media, social media and service and professional development. Emma completed her PhD looking at risk perceptions and responses of the public, healthcare and media professionals towards Clostridium difficile under the supervision of Professor Nora Kearney, Dr Bridget Johnston and Dr Jo Corlett.
Emma also supervises MSc students undertaking their dissertation. Additionally, Emma is a member of the Infection Prevention Society Research and Development Committee.
Wider professional activities
- Director and Board Member for the Infection Prevention Society
- Lead co-ordinator for the Education and Professional Development Committee within the National Infection Prevention Society
- Active Member of the the Tayside Patient and Public Group (PPG) in collaboration with NHS Tayside
- Active member of the Healthcare Associated Infection Network in collaboration with NHS Tayside
- Leading on the development of the new IPS National Core Competencies for Infection Prevention and Control Practitioners
- Leading on the development of an accredited IPS national course for Infection Prevention and Control Practitioners
Emma teaches Microbiology and Infection Prevention to undergraduate students and is a module leader in the SPQ and MSc Advanced Practice (Infection: Disease, Prevention and Control) programme. In addition to this, she supervises dissertation students and supports medical and nursing students whilst undertaking the Infection Prevention Cleanliness Champion Programme. Emma is also a personal tutor to a number of undergraduate and post qualifying students.
Constructing identities in the media: newspaper coverage analysis of a major UK Clostridium difficile outbreak Burnett, E., Johnston, B., Corlett, J. & Kearney, N. Jul 2014 In : Journal of Advanced Nursing. 70, 7, p. 1542-1552 11 p.
Use of hand-held computers to determine the relative contribution of different cognitive, attitudinal, social, and organizational factors on health care workers' decision to decontaminate hands Lee, K., Burnett, E., Morrison, K. & Ricketts, I. 2014 In : American Journal of Infection Control. 42, 2, p. 133-138 6 p.
Understanding factors that impact on public and patient's risk perceptions and responses toward Clostridium difficile and other health care-associated infections: a structured literature review Burnett, E., Johnston, B., Kearney, N., Corlett, J. & MacGillivray, S. Jun 2013 In : American Journal of Infection Control. 41, 6, p. 542-548 7 p.
Understanding factors that impact on health care professionals' risk perceptions and responses toward Clostridium difficile and meticillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus: A structured literature review Burnett, E., Kearney, N., Johnston, B., Corlett, J. & MacGillivray, S. 2013 In : American Journal of Infection Control. 41, 5, p. 394-400 7 p.
Understanding factors that impact on public and patient’s risk perceptions and responses toward Clostridium difficile and other health care-associated infections: a structured literature review Burnett, E., Johnston, B., Kearney, N., Corlett, J. & MacGillivray, S. Jun 2012 In : American Journal of Infection Control. 41, 6, p. 542-548 7 p.
Hand hygiene knowledge and attitudes: Comparisons between student nurses Kennedy, M. & Burnett, E. 1 Nov 2011 In : Journal of Infection Prevention. 12, 6, p. 246-250 5 p.
Development of the competency framework: Our journey Burnett, E. 1 Mar 2011 In : Journal of Infection Prevention. 12, 2, p. 50-52 3 p.
Outcome competences for practitioners in infection prevention and control Burnett, E. 2011 In : Journal of Infection Prevention. 12, 2, p. 67-90 24 p.
Healthcare-associated infection and the patient experience: a qualitative study using patient interviews Burnett, E., Lee, K., Rushmer, R., Ellis, M., Noble, M. & Davey, P. Jan 2010 In : Journal of Hospital Infection. 74, 1, p. 42-47 6 p.
Innovative infection prevention and control teaching for nursing students: a personal reflection Burnett, E. Nov 2009 In : Journal of Infection Prevention. 10, 6, p. 204-210 7 p.
Education and professional development strategy 2008-2010 Burnett, E., Bennallick, M., Flores, A., Horton, R., Lawrence, J. & Richards, A. Jan 2009 In : Journal of Infection Prevention. 10, 1, p. 21-23 3 p.
Perceptions, attitudes, and behavior towards patient hand hygiene Burnett, E. 2009 In : American Journal of Infection Control. 37, 8, p. 638-642 5 p.
From theory to practice in learning about healthcare associated infections: reliable assessment of final year medical students' ability to reflect Burnett, E., Phillips, G. & Ker, J. S. 2008 In : Medical Teacher. 30, 6, p. E157-E160 4 p.
- Speaker at the Infection Prevention Society conference, Harrogate. September 2009.
- Speaker at the European Congress of Clinical microbiology and Infectious Disease, Helsinki. May 2009.
- Plenary speaker at Infection Prevention 2010. Infection Prevention Society, Bournemouth. September 2010.
- Speaker at the Hospital Infection Society 2010, 7th International Conference, Liverpool. October 2010.
- Speaker at the BSA Medical Sociology Group, 2010 Annual Conference, Durham. September 2010.
- Speaker at Paul Webber international training teleclass for healthcare professionals. June 2010.
- Speaker at the Infection Prevention Society Scottish Branch Annual Conference, Glasgow. October 2011.
- Keynote and symposium speaker at the Australasian College for Infection Prevention and Control, Sydney. 8-11th October 2012.
- Speaker at the Health and Media Symposium, Spa Bath. July 2012.